Guest house

Bangladeshi national dies in Kolkata guesthouse fire

A fire broke out on Saturday morning at a guesthouse on Mirza Ghalib Street in Kolkata, India. –UNB photo.

A 60-year-old Bangladeshi woman was burned to death and two others were injured in a fire that broke out on Saturday morning at a guest house in the eastern Indian city of Calcutta.

The fire started at the reception on the second floor of the Mirza Ghalib Street guesthouse at 4 a.m. and quickly engulfed 11 rooms in the building, officials said.

“Some 28 Bangladeshi nationals were staying at the guesthouse at the time of the fire. While the elderly woman died in the fire, the other two Bangladeshi nationals were hospitalized with injuries,” a senior Kolkata police official told local media.

The deceased is Samimatul Begum, the officer said.

A Kolkata Fire Department official said three tenders took almost two hours to contain the blaze. “All 11 rooms were completely destroyed by the fire,” he said.

An electrical short circuit appears to have started the deadly fire, the official said. “Anyway, a probe has been ordered and we will also check to see if the guest house had a fire safety clearance from the department.”

Fires are common in guesthouses and small hotels in India due to lax enforcement of hellish safety regulations.